Friday 12 July 2013

Beautiful Colorado!

The days spent in Colorado have been beautiful, and the rides mapped have brought us through some amazing areas. Yesterday we rode for 80 miles through Colorado and were able to enjoy some of the sights of the small towns along the way - in other words, we got to stop for coffee. Unfortunately all of the cyclists before us ate the pie, so we settled for the iced beverages :)





The ride was also wonderful because we had a great flat ride for over 50 miles, and then a huge descent into the town of Poncho Springs. The ride down was a 7% grade for 7 miles, and brought me to my highest speed yet - 75.6km/h. However, I was far from the fastest. Some cyclists hit 56 miles per hour - that's too fast for me.



At the base of the hill was a gas station with a bar attached. We were quickly flagged down by cyclists running out of the bar and yelling, "$2.00 beers!', so obviously we stopped. It seems that everyone did - it was a party!



That evening we stayed at the fair grounds of Chaffee and were treated to watching a Roller-Derby practice, as well as experience Peloton inside a horse barn.







The view waking up in the morning was amazing. This was the sight from where I slept - I woke up to this beautiful sight.



Today we had a short 60 mile ride from Poncho Springs into Canon City, and it was downhill almost the entire way! Here are some sights from the ride...









Tomorrow we will be heading into Colorado Springs where I will meet up with my family for the weekend! Which is great because my tent it broken, I want to get rid of my second bike, and I have way too many clothes to keep on this trip :) Also, it will be really nice to see them.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post and pictures, Karyn. It turns out that my daughter knows someone who rode in a past Sea to Sea and showed me the pictures he had forwarded to her. Cool, eh? I am so glad that you'll have a small respite with your family.

    ReplyDelete