Tuesday 2 July 2013

Canada Day in the U.S.A.

Before I get into today, we'll talk about yesterday. As a group, the Sea to Sea riders and volunteers split up between the many churches here in Payson, AZ. Our group attended a Southern Baptist church where we were greeted with hugs. Not exactly the CRC style, but we went with it. The sermon was very fitting for me. It was entitled: Help, I've fallen, but I can get up. Well, it's true. Living proof!




We spent lunch at Denny's restaurant eating ridiculous amounts of food and using their Wi-Fi. Another of our favourite hangouts is McDonalds, because you can sit and use the internet without buying anything. We sure are thrifty, us Dutch.




At the end of the evening we had Pelaton meeting where we learned that the smoke from the Colorado fires has restricted Wolf Pass, and hence our route though the state has to be renegotiated. The fires have been so extreme that it isn't possible to move through on bicycles, and won't open back up until winter for anyone other than cars. We also found out that the storm we had the other day (large windstorm that broke some tents and caused some damage to our camp) involved a lightning strike which created a fire. The flames quickly spread over 2000 acres, destroying 500 homes. 19 firefighters died on Sunday in the blaze, which is about 85 miles NW of Phoenix. Luckily we weren't in the way, but keep their families in your prayers.

On a lighter note, we also had open mic/talent show at Pelaton last night, which was filled with jokes and good entertainment. I would post the videos, but they are taking a SUPER long time to load, so maybe another day.

Well, onto today. Bonne fĂȘte, Canada! Today we are celebrating Canada day in the U.S.A. Although we didn't get a chance to sing the anthem (yet), or God save the queen, or eat Poutine, or go to Tim Hortons, Canada day lives on in the Sea to Sea tour. Not only did we make our American friends Honorary Canadians for the day, but many Canadians decided to show their Red and White Pride.



To get us back into the swing of things before we head off tomorrow for a 68 mile ride, we took a trip as the Sea to Sea crew to the river and waterfalls where we spent some time relaxing in the very cold waters. We were guessing it was about 14C at good times. (Sara Bakelaar took these. I left my camera at camp).




Now, we are relaxing at a local coffee shop and enjoying our last day of rest before we head back out. Payson has been good to us! But it will be good to keep moving on to Shiprock, NM. For anyone who feels generous, this is the place to which you can send me gifts :) JK! I have more than I need. I am overflowing with what I need. Rather, your prayers would be appreciated. Prayers for the safety of riders, volunteers, etc, as well as my body, which is feeling the effects of the trip, the fall, the new bike to which I am still adjusting, etc.

I hope you all are doing well! Please leave notes, message me on FB, etc to keep me in the loop on your life.
Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karyn, great job on your blog! I'm missing being there, but am cheering you all on and keeping you in our prayers. Blessings,
    Randy

    ReplyDelete